Friday, August 29, 2014

The Queen of Sheba’s Leaping Gazelle


King Solomon compared to a leaping gazelle by the Queen of Sheba?
Men and women have different perceptions of each other and writers reveal clues about their perceptions in their writings. Three thousand years ago, King Solomon revealed clues about himself and his personal thoughts in his Proverbs and Song of Songs.
In a novel, I surmised what Bilqis, the Queen of Sheba, may have said to King Solomon based on his writings referenced below. The novel is a contemporary application of a story form to promote understanding of proverbs and ancient wise sayings in relation to modern times.
Excerpt            
I paused after ending my story to observe Bilqis for her reaction. She remained silent for a long while before she finally commented in a thoughtful tone.
“Solomon, when I first heard the story in my kingdom of your judgment of the harlots, I was impressed by your wisdom. I did not realize how much forethought and planning you did before you judged the harlots so as not to appear a fool.” Then a broad smile appeared on her face.
“May I ask why are you smiling?” I asked.
“Your comment about a nagging wife is both amusing and revealing. With over two hundred wives and concubines, you have obviously gained great insight in the ways of women. Your strategies of dealing with women’s emotions and jealousies with empathy and compassion are admirable. You seem to leap like a gazelle from one state of affairs to another in stride. Your most amusing comment is your survival strategy. You go off by yourself on your rooftop rather than continue listening and dealing with troublesome women. There are times when even I want to scream when I hear women quarrel and nag at each other. I personally cannot understand your reasoning for having so many wives.”
“I must understand more of men’s way of thinking if I am to rule wisely over them. This much I do know; most men do not share your beliefs about humility, and most men are incapable of controlling their vanity. Your observations are correct about women being more critical about other women. We must discuss the differences of men and women at another time. I am very curious to know why you choose to have so many wives. Please, continue with your story.” Bilqis requested in a still amused tone.
I considered her comments for a moment before continuing my story. I had to admit her description of my affairs dealing with the women in my household, as a leaping gazelle, was both amusing as well as self-enlightening.
Source:
As A Lily Among Thorns – A Story of King Solomon, the Queen of Sheba, and the Goddess of Wisdom by Rudy U Martinka
Available at most sellers.  View at link below.
References
    Behold, he comes,
leaping over the mountains,
bounding over the hills.
  My beloved is like a gazelle
or a young stag.
(Song of Songs 2:8,9) 
Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the palate and tonic for the body. (Proverb 16:24) 
It is better to live at the corner of a roof, than to share a house with a nagging wife. (Proverb 21:9) 
Before a downfall the heart is haughty,
but humility comes before honor.(Proverb 18:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment