Tuesday, December 8, 2020

King Solomon’s Nagging Wives (Repost)










King Solomon is purported to have had 700 wives and 300 concubines, he surely must have experienced being nagged . 
I surmised in a  novel  excerpt,  based on his proverb,  the answer he gave Bilqis, the Queen of Sheba what he did when his wives nagged him.  The novel is a contemporary application of a story form to promote understanding of proverbs and ancient wise sayings in relation to our modern times.

*Excerpt
“Naamah came to me a little while ago and told me you were going to order me to stop burning incense. What will your punishment be if I refuse? Tell me Solomon, if you ordered me to be cut in half, which half of me would you most desire?”
 She sauntered both hips seductively before she asked in an enticing manner. “My left half, or my right half?”
Then she smiled and made a face as if another thought suddenly came upon her and stated. “I have a better idea. Why don’t you order Naamah’s nose be cut off so she can no longer complain about the smell of my incense.”
I started laughing. The Pharaoh’s daughter wit entertained me.
“Solomon, you will have to enlarge this palace if my incense displeases Naamah.” She stated in an instructive tone.
“Siamuna, try to explain why you burn incense. Maybe Naamah will understand it is a part of your beliefs and be more tolerant.”
 I thought silently to myself, Naamah would not care about Siamuna’s Egyptian beliefs and customs. However, they may at least talk to each other and that might help reduce my hearing their nagging complaints between them. A man is better off being alone in a corner of a roof outside alone than having to listen to a nagging wife in a big house. It is better to live at the corner of a roof, than to share a house with a nagging wife. (Proverb 21:9)
( PS. Buildings in ancient times did not have basements. Rooftops were used often by the dwellers similar to how family rooms or dens are used today. Not certain where the dog house was in ancient times.) 
Source: 
As a Lily among Thorns – A Story of King Solomon, the Queen of Sheba, and the Goddess of Wisdom by Rudy U Martinka
Now available as an e-Book at all sellers.   View beginning excerpts @

No comments:

Post a Comment